Carbon Monoxide: INSPECT, PROTECT, DETECT
There may be a killer in your home that's waiting to get you.
This is no ordinary killer. You won't hear glass breaking. Neither will you see it or smell it. It renders victims helpless before they know what happened.
That killer is carbon monoxide (CO). But there is something you can do - INSPECT, PROTECT AND DETECT.
According to Underwriters Laboratories, 15,000 Americans are seen in emergency rooms every year because of CO poisoning. It's the most common type of poisoning in the United States.
CO is produced when any fuel, like natural gas, propane, wood, kerosene or charcoal is burned. If the appliance that burns the fuel is working correctly or is properly maintained and used, the amount of CO is usually not hazardous.
But if the appliance is improperly installed, not working properly or used incorrectly, CO can rapidly build to dangerous levels.
Fetuses, infants, the elderly and people affected by heart or lung disease are especially susceptible.
CO poisoning mimics the flu. Victims develop headaches, nausea, dizziness and mental confusion. If symptoms subside in fresh air, CO poisoning may be the cause.
Take these three steps for CO safety:
Get a licensed technician to INSPECT fuel-burning appliances every year.
Purchase and install a CO alarm to PROTECT your loved ones.
Be prepared should your CO alarm DETECT a problem.