$1.099
VARIABLE
$0.699
FIXED
$1.019
VARIABLE
$0.679
FIXED
News

September 2012
Help Prevent Natural Gas Pipeline Emergencies

LOOK for blowing dirt or continued bubbling in standing water.

LISTEN near a natural gas appliance or line; there may be a hissing or roaring sound when natural gas is leaking.

SMELL for the distinctive, rotten-egg odor associated with natural gas. You should take action anytime you detect even a small amount of this odor in the air.

LEAVE the area immediately if you detect a natural gas leak. Don't try to identify the source or to stop the leak yourself.

AVOID touching anything that may cause a spark. This includes lighters, matches, cigarettes, flashlights, light switches and telephones in the area of the suspected leak. You should even wait until you are away from the area to use a cell phone.

CALL Atlanta Gas Light or 9-1-1 once you are out of the area of the suspected leak and in a safe place. Stay away until an Atlanta Gas Light representative or emergency personnel indicates it is safe to return.

Water Heater Safety

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) urges all users to lower their water heaters to 120 degrees Fahrenheit.

A thermostat setting of 120 degrees Fahrenheit (49 degrees Celsius) may be necessary for residential water heaters to reduce or eliminate the risk of most tap water scald injuries. Consumers should consider lowering the thermostat to the lowest settings that will satisfy hot water needs for all clothing and dish washing machines.

Never take hot water temperature for granted. Always hand-test before using, especially when bathing children and infants.

Natural Gas Equipment Safety

According to the Federal Emergency Management Agency:
- It's important that you have your furnace inspected by a qualified specialist to ensure that it is in good working condition. Do not attempt repairs yourself unless you are qualified.
- Be sure all furnace controls and emergency shutoffs are in proper working condition.
- Keep trash and other combustible material away from your heating and water heating systems.

Avoiding Carbon Monoxide

Natural gas is a safe fuel source; however, incomplete combustion of any fuel - charcoal, gasoline, wood or even natural gas - produces carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is poisonous and has no odor, taste or color. Carbon monoxide detectors are helpful, but they are no substitute for using equipment safely. This includes having your appliances inspected at least once a year by a certified contractor. For a referral to one in your area, visit our website or call 1-800-427-5463 and choose option five.

Read other articles from The Walton EMC Gasette:
Breaking Down AGL's Base Charge
Sales Tax Holiday October 5, 6 & 7
September's Winning Recipe - Crockpot Mac & Cheese